Inland Barges and Liftboats

Lafayette, Louisiana Offshore Injury Attorney

The rights of an offshore worker depend on many factors, such as the job he was doing, whether the accident happened in federal waters, state waters, or inland bays, and the type of structure he was working on at the time of the accident. The general maritime law considers inland barge drilling rigs to be vessels, no different than crew boats, supply boats, or cruise ships. This also includes barges with special equipment mounted to do specific work, such as a coiled-tubing unit, plug and abandon equipment, and even land-based truck rigs mounted on barges. Workers permanently assigned to those vessels enjoy the status of being Jones Act seamen.

Other workers who do transitory work on these vessels, such as wireline crews, casing crews, company men, construction crews, blast and paint crews, plug and abandon crews, and the like, are generally considered maritime employees. Since the oil and gas industry began exploration over water during the mid 20th century, many types of floating structures have been used as workplaces. It is extremely important that your attorney be experienced with the detailed construction, operation, and function of those structures in order to ensure that the injured offshore worker maximizes his monetary recovery. This often means the difference between winning and losing a case.

As an attorney and former oil field engineer, Mr. Matt has the expertise necessary to have the court recognize the proper classification of these structures and the proper legal classification of the injured worker in order to protect his rights and the rights of his family.

Call Now ButtonCall Now